I love french fries. I wish they weren’t so unhealthy!!!! Have you noticed that in the last few years everyone has added sweet potato fries to their menus? Its like getting egg whites vs. regular eggs, or adding avocado to your meal— you pay an additional +$1.50 to sub regular fries for sweets. I love them! Thank goodness for this easy to make/bake recipe that is totally healthy. This makes a perfect pre-dinner appetizer, a side dish on burger night (or any night), or even just an afternoon snack when the kids get home from school, or you are trying to contain yourself from hitting the drive-through to quench your fried food craving!
A few Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
- high in antioxidants
- contain anti-inflammatory nutrients
- blood sugar-regulating nutrients
- They are packed with calcium, potassium, and vitamins A and C source
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Ingredients (about 2 servings)
• 2 medium sweet potatoes
• 2 tablespoons olive oil (or coconut oil)
• salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Optional: Line 2 cookie sheets with foil (for easier clean-up)
- Wash and Scrub the sweet potatoes. I prefer mine with the peel on, but you can peel them if you’d rather.
- Cut the sweet potatoes how you want. I like mine on the thinner side, my husband likes his steak cut; So I normally do one tray of each. It’s important to remember that thicker cut fries will take longer to bake.
- In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt & pepper. Sometimes I add a touch of cayenne pepper, garlic powder, or even cinnamon for extra pizzazz
- Spread sweet potatoes onto cookie/baking sheets into one layer. If you place them too close together they will steam vs. brown.
- Bake the fries for approximately 15-25 minutes. You should flip the fries one time and rotate the pans one time. (Trust me, I learned this the hard way…bottoms of my fries totally black while the tops were perfectly baked) You will know they are ready when the edges turn brown and they look tender.
- Before serving, you can add more salt if you’d like.
We normally eat them with spiked ketchup = Mix your ketchup with your favorite hot sauce!
So yummy! Enjoy!