- 1 bunch of lacinato kale, cut in ribbons
- 1 bunch of swiss chard (I used red chard), cut in ribbons
- 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (roasted or raw)
- 1 apple, diced small
for Salad Dressing Instructions click here: Dijon Vinaigrette
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons raw honey (OR) 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (vegan version)
Juice from half a lemon (I used half a large lemon & got about 1/4 cup juice)
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and cut Swiss Chard & Kale (I like to use a salad spinner to make sure it gets nice and dry. Put in a mixing bowl.
- Dice apple.
- Massage salad dressing into Chard & Kale. Go easy on the dressing because it’s pretty powerful. Save what’s left in fridge up to 5 days.
- Sprinkle with diced apple and sunflower seeds.
That’s it. So easy!
These are some seriously nutrient dense ingredients.
Swiss Chard: Swiss chard is a nutritional powerhouse — an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, and dietary fiber
Kale: 3 grams of protein per cup, 2.5 grams fiber per cup, Vitamins A, C and K, folate, as well as minerals–phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and zinc
Apple Cider Vinegar: helps with blood sugar control, full of probiotics and beneficial bacteria, and of course some claim it aids in weight loss/fat burn
Lemon: Packed with Vitamin C, aids digestion, decreases bloat
Garlic: boosts your immune system, benefits your respiratory & circulatory system (hi, healthy heart!) anti-inflammatory, antioxidant packed
You can use any kind of apple you’d like. I recommend a crispy one. I used Fuji because that’s what came in my farm box this week. But any kind would be great.
The sunflower seeds add an additional 7 grams of protein + Vitamin E, Copper, Vitamin B1. They also provide a decent amount of manganese, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin B6, folate and niacin.
I have so much to say, but I have a hungry baby who needs to nurse. I’ll be back soon!